A full, updated listing of publications (PDF)
List of professional activities (program committees, reviewing, examining, etc.)
My reviewing on ...
My publications in ...
ACM DL Author Profile
Irish Software Association Award Shortlisting, 2015
RIA Gold Medal
Alan F. Smeaton, MSc, PhD, MRIA, FIEE, FICS
Director, Insight Centre for Data Analytics
Dublin 9, IRELAND.
T: +353 - 1 - 7005262
F: +353 - 1 - 7005442
E: Alan Smeaton
Winner of the Royal Irish Academy Gold Medal for 2015, with details here
and here, and with a nice write-up in the Irish Times.
- Director, and Co-Founder
of the Insight Centre for Data Analytics, DCU (2013-).
- Elected to membership of the Royal Irish Academy May 2013 and appointed Chair of the Engineering and Computer Sciences Committee
- Board Member of the Irish Research Council (2012-2015 and 2015-2018, Ministerial Appointments).
- Member of the COST (European Cooperation in Science and Technology) Inaugural Scientific Committee
- Board Member of the HEA Committee on Graduate Research and Education (2012-).
- Founding coordinator of TRECVid - the International Benchmarking Evaluation Campaign on Information Retrieval from Digital Video run by the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST, US) annually since 2001.
- Member of the International Advisory Committee (IAC) of the COMunnications INformation Science Laboratoires (COMINLabs), Bretagne, France, (2012-).
- Shortlisted by the Irish Software Association for Outstanding Academic Achievement award, 2015.
- Member, Editorial Board, Information Processing and Management (2000-).
- Principal Investigator and Deputy Director of CLARITY: Centre for Sensor Web Technologies, (2008-2013).
- Founding Director, Centre for Digital Video Processing, (1999-2008).
- Member of the Irish Research Council for Science, Engineering and Technology, (2011-2012).
- Member of the International Review Panel for the NExT Research Center, National University of Singapore and Tsinghua University, China (2013);
- Winner of the University
President's Research Award in Sciences and Engineering, 2002, and DCU Educational Trust Leadership Circle award recipient, 2009.
- Recipient of the Tony Kent Strix award in 2011, awarded by UK eInformation Group.
- Member, Founding Editorial Board, ACM Journal on Computers and Cultural Heritage (2006-2015)
- Member, Editorial Board, Information Retrieval Journal (1998-2007).
- Member, Editorial Board, International Journal on Digital Libraries (2002-2011).
- Member, Founding Editorial Board, Foundations and Trends in Information Retrieval (2006-2014).
- Interesting interview with me about my career as of June 2013
Services to the Profession:
- General co-chair of the 23rd ACM Multimedia Conference (MULTIMEDIA 2015)
, November 2015, Brisbane, Australia.
- Technical Program co-chair of the 10th Asia Information Retrieval Society Conference AIRS'2014
, December 2014, Kuching, Malaysia.
- Technical Program co-chair for the ACM International Conference on Multimedia Retrieval (ICMR), Hong Kong, Jun 2012.
- Program co-chair for the Conference on Multilingual and Multimodal Information Access Evaluation (CLEF 2010), Padua, September 2010.
- Co-chair of the program committee for the Irish HCI Conference, Dublin, Ireland, September, 2010.
- Program co-chair of the 15th International MultiMedia Modeling Conference (MMM2009), Sophia Antipolis, France, 2009.
- Program co-chair of TRECVid Summarization workshops at ACM Multimedia in 2007 and in 2008;
- General chair and host of the 5th European Summer School in Information Retrieval (ESSIR2005), Dublin, September 2005.
- Co-Chair of the Program Committee, IEEE International Conference on Multimedia and Expo, Amsterdam, July 2005.
- General Chair of the Conference
on Image and Video Retrieval, Dublin, July 2004.
- Co-chair of the Program Committee, ACM
SIGIR Conference, Toronto, 2003.
- Undergraduate and taught postgraduate student project ideas, as well as some past projects.
older, and really ancient. Finally, a link to that BBC2 TV program with James May, and a link to the Irish Times article on helping First Year undergraduate students